Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Getting Ready for Baby Owen

So, I found out a couple of weeks ago that I have gestational diabetes. (Boooo) I was absolutely devastated when hearing the news. I couldn't help but think it was solely due to my overweight status. I was sent to a certified diabetes educator/registered dietician for a consult. It went fantastic. Learned so much about GD and the many reasons that I was a prime suspect - third pregnancy, over 30 yrs old, diabetes in the family, and yes, a small percentage due to being overweight. Through talking to her, we came to the conclusion that I was getting too much sugar in my blood due to eating way too much fruit in one sitting. Apparently a whole bag of grapes for lunch isn't a good thing. Ha! I'm having to prick my finger 4X a day to check my glucose levels. So far, so good. I've only have one elevated reading - doctor and dietician are extremely pleased and don't see any reason why this will have any adverse effect on baby Owen if things continue this way. It's making me get more creative with my cooking, which is always good. Take a look at the omelet I made... 

Can we say, YUM?!? It was delicious. I've never made anything so pretty.  




My belly seems to be growing exponentially. My poor pajamas are in a sad state of affairs these days and are just trying to hold on for dear life... 


 My very good friends Jessica and Amy threw me a baby shower last weekend. I couldn't ask for better friends. It was perfect. I couldn't believe how many people were able to attend. Makes me miss being around all my teacher friends on a daily basis. The theme for the shower was Monsters... as we all know I refer to my boys as my little monsters. It only seemed fitting. Jessica & Amy did an amazing job of having monsters be all over the place. The pictures don't do it justice, but I must post a few. 







I received so many amazing gifts. More than what I could've anticipated. When I got home, I spread it all out in the dining room and took pictures to send to Buck. He was definitely impressed. I planned on waiting for him to come home to begin putting all the large items together..... BUT, I couldn't wait. It only took me 2 hours to put the pack-n-play together. Ugh! And I have to admit, it would've taken me longer if Lynk hadn't helped me. 

I started off doing it alone. As I'm trying to figure out how to lock the pack-n-play into position, (why does it have to be so damn difficult?!?) Lynk and Gavy are having a good ol' time screaming, laughing, galavanting around the house and around my "work area". I'd said several times, "Please stop running"... "Please keep the noise down" ... "Please stay away from my work area." None of these pleadings worked. So, when I couldn't handle it any longer, I lost it and screamed "CAN YOU GO TO YOUR ROOMS, NOW?!?!" I immediately knew the fact that I formed this into a question left room for a response other than what I wanted.... and right on cue, Gavy says "uh, no, I wanna be down here." That sent me off the cliff. How could I be so stupid to phrase it that way?! "GET IN YOUR ROOMS NOW!!!" This had the impact I wanted... minus the terrified looks on their faces. They both scurried off, slamming doors in their wake. A part of me felt bad that I yelled... but not enough to apologize. It was finally quiet! I could finally think and focus on this stupid task at hand. It reminded me of when I get lost on the road and turn off the radio and make the kids be absolutely quiet so that I can magically figure out where the hell I took a wrong turn. So, it's now quiet, other than the muffled noises of playtime that I hear coming from the boys' bedrooms. I stare blankly at the pack-n-play. The quiet didn't work. Damnit! After 10-15 minutes or so, Lynk pokes his head out of his room. "Mama? Can I come down and help you?" Pssssh, riiiiiiiight, like he's going to help. But at this point, it didn't matter... so, I let him come down. I crossed my fingers that Gavy wouldn't here him and decide to join us. Lynk watched me looking from the assembly directions to the pieces strewn all over the floor. As I began picking up pieces and attempting to put them in the correct position, Lynk grabbed the book and started studying it. I obliged and didn't say a word. Then... he began telling me which pieces to get and how to do it. AND HE WAS RIGHT! In about 2 minutes, he had solved a problem I had thought was impossible. He began looking at the pictures and dictating to me what he thought the picture was showing. It was amazing to witness. Within another 30 minutes, the pack-n-play was assembled (correctly). Lynk was excited, but not as much as I was... excited didn't seem appropriate. I was ecstatic... so proud of my little man. 

The evil Pack-n-Play that almost did me in
After that was complete, I took a 3 hour breather before I began on the swing. I immediately asked for Lynk's help... Yes, I learned my lesson. This time, I couldn't keep Gavy away. Having Gavyn help was like 'Pete and Re-Pete.' Gavyn watched his brother with the instruction manual and soon began following in his foot-steps. Gavy's assistance wasn't nearly as helpful, but it was adorable. I had to snap a couple shots of him before he realized I wasn't intently listening to him... 


 
We were able to get the swing done in about an hour and a half. Not too shabby for a preggo, 5 yr old, and 3 yr old, right? 


Now that I have a pack-n-play and swing in my living room, I'm really starting to realize how quickly a little baby will occupy these furniture items. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. 

So, all-in-all, I feel accomplished. We celebrated our success with a little jam-session in the kitchen that quickly turned into a slap-fest.... as most things do with these two little monsters. Luckily it ended in laughter instead of whining.... good day! 














No comments:

Post a Comment